Big Reports- Trouble Accessing Forum and Becoming Logged Out

Forum rules, news and updates will all be posted in here. It's also the place for members to post feedback and bug reports.

Big Reports- Trouble Accessing Forum and Becoming Logged Out

Postby Officer 1BDI on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 pm

For the past couple of days (roughly around the time that the new emoticons were added) I've run into two issues that I've never come across while using this forum before.

The first is that if I try to get to this site while not logged in, about half the time I'll be greeted with an unfamiliar login prompt. If I refuse to log in using this window (as I've done the entire time because I have no idea where this prompt is coming from) I'll be taken to an almost blank page telling me something equivalent to "access denied". If I refresh the page a few times I'll eventually be taken to the forum.

The second issue is that when I navigate away from the forum, and then return to it within a short period (say, 5 or 10 minutes), I'll automatically be logged out. I've never had this issue before, and I haven't changed my Internet settings within the last few days, so I'm not sure what's causing this.

Is anyone else having these issues?
You have to be honest with yourself when you are writing. If that leads to somewhere unexpected then perhaps you really needed to go there.
-- Jim Adkins
Officer 1BDI

Re: Big Reports- Trouble Accessing Forum and Becoming Logged Out

Postby TreeSprite on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm

The idle logout's been happening since the transfer of the forum. I'm trying to track it down. As for the other issue, it hasn't happened for me...
Fae folk keep secrets too.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Ghosthande on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:11 pm

I haven't noticed any problems. I'd almost be afraid that first issue is a piece of malware though, maybe you should consider running a good scan?
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby Grendel Man on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 am

The first issue up there happened to me, too. It happened to me a few days ago, but I assumed it had something to do with Ctopia being under maintenance and didn't think much of it. Apparently, though, it's not.

The second issue I've never had problems with, probably due to the fact that I keep the "Log me in automatically" button checked.
ImageImage
Grendel Man

Postby SpaceShipRat on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 am

I've had neither problem.
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby Officer 1BDI on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:02 am

Ghosthande wrote:I haven't noticed any problems. I'd almost be afraid that first issue is a piece of malware though, maybe you should consider running a good scan?

I'll be running a thorough virus scan tonight just in case, but my virus scanner is usually pretty good about catching malware as it's trying to install itself so I'm not convinced it's a virus. But I'll post if I find anything.

Grendel Man wrote:The second issue I've never had problems with, probably due to the fact that I keep the "Log me in automatically" button checked.

Admittingly, I have my browser set to clear cookies after I close the window, so I never stay logged in to anything once I exit FireFox. So it's possible that my cookie settings have something to do with this, but as far as memory serves I've never been logged out of something without closing the browser unless there was an explicit time limit involved (like on some other forums I post on).
You have to be honest with yourself when you are writing. If that leads to somewhere unexpected then perhaps you really needed to go there.
-- Jim Adkins
Officer 1BDI

Postby fuzzie on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Officer 1BDI wrote:The first is that if I try to get to this site while not logged in, about half the time I'll be greeted with an unfamiliar login prompt. If I refuse to log in using this window (as I've done the entire time because I have no idea where this prompt is coming from) I'll be taken to an almost blank page telling me something equivalent to "access denied". If I refresh the page a few times I'll eventually be taken to the forum.

If I try going via creaturetopia.org rather than ctopia.treesprite.com, things like this happen occasionally to me, using different computers/connections.
fuzzie

Postby Ghosthande on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:50 pm

That could explain why it's not happening to me, my browser preferences are set to refuse redirects so I always use the ctopia.treesprite.com address.
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby TreeSprite on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Keep posting about it everyone! :) The more people talk the more clues I get to fixing the log out problem.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Officer 1BDI on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:27 pm

fuzzie wrote:If I try going via creaturetopia.org rather than ctopia.treesprite.com, things like this happen occasionally to me, using different computers/connections.

Ooh, interesting. I've never used the ".treesprite.com" URL, so you may be onto something.
Officer 1BDI

Postby ylukyun on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:51 am

fuzzie wrote:If I try going via creaturetopia.org rather than ctopia.treesprite.com, things like this happen occasionally to me, using different computers/connections.

Exactly the same for me. If I use ctopia.treesprite.com it seems to work as normal. creaturetopia.org is just a frame type thing right?

Oh, and I remember the htaccess login page once. "The server at blah on port blah is requesting blah" also on creaturetopia.org
ylukyun

Postby Tarlia on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:05 am

I use Firefox and am permanently logged in, using www.creaturetopia.org, and I haven't experienced any trouble.
Tarlia

Postby TreeSprite on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:07 am

When using Internet Explorer 8, I cannot maintain a login when I use http://creaturetopia.org, or http://www.creaturetopia.org. I can however maintain a login when using http://ctopia.treesprite.com I assume therefore that this idle logout problem has something to do with the referrer. The interesting thing is that when I use ctopia.treesprite.com and tell it to hold my login, but then try to use creaturetopia.org my login instance appears to have vanished when I load the index page, but when I go back to ctopia.treesprite.com I'm still logged in. I assume this is a problem with authentication for the forum, and how the cookies are handled. I can only get the cookies to work properly and allow log-in and registration to the forum from ctopia.treesprite.com because that is the server from whence the forum is run.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Officer 1BDI on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm

For what it's worth, I haven't experienced either of these issues for a few days now, and I didn't change anything on my end.
-- Jim Adkins
Officer 1BDI

Return to Announcements & Reports