Creaturetopia News - July

Forum rules, news and updates will all be posted in here. It's also the place for members to post feedback and bug reports.

Creaturetopia News - July

Postby TreeSprite on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Hello fellow Creatures Fans!

Can you believe the year is over half gone already? Wow! I can't even believe I've been the admin of Creaturetopia for a whole month! There's a few things that have changed on Creaturetopia since I took over as admin, and I feel like I should explain a few of them.

Idle Logout Bug
A few of you have been noticing issues with being logged out of the forum when you are idle. It has been noted that it is not possible to maintain a login when using http://creaturetopia.org, or http://www.creaturetopia.org. You can however maintain a login when using http://ctopia.treesprite.com. I assume therefore that this idle logout problem has something to do with the referrer. This is likely a problem with authentication for the forum, and how the cookies are handled. I can only get the cookies to work properly and allow log-in and registration to the forum from ctopia.treesprite.com because that is the server from whence the forum is run. At present this is a bug for which I have no fix. I will keep an eye out for solutions to this problem and repair it when one presents itself.

Search Tool Non-Functional
Some of you reported that the search tool would not correctly find topics/posts when searching via keyword, and that furthermore use of the search tool would cause you to be logged out of the forum. This error has now been fixed, and the search tool has been properly indexed. You can now do a search and will retrieve topics/posts via keyword from both the time period before the domain transfer as well as after.

New Emoticons
Creaturetopia now features more and different emoticons than it had prior to it's move. If you know of an emoticon that you would like to see on Creaturetopia, please post a request to me via pm, and include a link to the animated gif icon that you would like to see be added to the Creaturetopia emoticon bin. I will check the icon, and if it passes approval of myself and the moderators, it will be added to the board.

New Member Post Moderation
To prevent xxx spam registrations and postings from searing the eyes and brains of the younger members of the Creatures Community, Creaturetopia now requires that all newly registered member posts undergo the scrutiny of the moderators until the post count reaches five. I want to apologize to longstanding respected members of the community who do not have a post as high as five who now have to endure this minor frustration until their post count reaches five. I assure you all that your moderators and I are trying to approve your posts as quickly as we can, so as not to inconvenience you.

Forum Template Errors
It seems that in order to keep up with the latest versions of phpbb, and to eradicate the template errors we are experiencing since the domain transfer, our beloved Creaturetopia must undergo a facelift. Our current theme/style template is incompatible with the latest versions of phpbb. In light of this, I am researching what changes are necessary and the precise dimensions that are needed for various visual elements for the forum. When I have compiled the data I will post again, and explain what is needed, and then ask for community contributions.

New Creatures Community Internet Relay Chat link
The CCIRC now has its own link from the index page. I hope you all enjoy the convenience of the link, and have a wonderful time in the new Creatures Community IRC chat room! =)

I hope all of you are enjoying posting on Creaturetopia! Please feel free to send a message to the moderators, or myself anytime you have a concern or a question about Creaturetopia. This is your forum, and the staff members are here to make your experience the best it can possibly be, so make sure to help us make it a place you want to be!

Love & Light to you and your wonderful creatures!
TreeSprite
Fae folk keep secrets too.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Re: Creaturetopia News - July

Postby lembamjunior on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:14 am

You can find the template changes here to make it compatible with the newest version:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=880735

Also, phpBB has a very good open source community. So you can ask there if you have problems, you'll get a reply within 30 minutes. :)

I never asked for support for phpBB, but when browsing their site I always saw that the problems of other users where solved quickly.

Thanks Sprite.
Last edited by lembamjunior on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
`'~,.,~'`Regards, Lembamjunior`'~,.,~'`Image

Bill Gates: "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one."
lembamjunior

Postby SpaceShipRat on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:28 am

You've been really busy :)
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby Emzie on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Thank you for all your hardwork!
"If I can't see them, they can't see or eat me...right?" ~ Cheese Ettin in my avatar
Emzie

Postby TreeSprite on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:05 pm

lembamjunior wrote:You can find the template changes here to make it compatible with the newest version:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=880735

Also, phpBB has a very good open source community. So you can ask there if you have problems, you'll get a reply within 30 minutes. :)

I never asked for support for phpBB, but when browsing their site I always saw that the problems of other users where solved quickly.

Thanks Sprite.

Thanks L, I already know about the community, obviously, or I wouldn't know about the template problems. I simply saw this as an opportunity for the community to contribute to the look of their own forum. If I have to do the work to make the template changes anyway, it's a good time to rethink how Creaturetopia looks.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Jessica on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks again for your work on the forum! You've done a great job moving everything over relatively smoothly: I can just imagine all of the steps involved. Hopefully these issues will be resolved pretty soon, although I'm happy to see that a lot of the news involves new features. Thanks again!

I also noticed a somewhat minor issue that may or may not need any action. When going to the web site via http://www.creaturetopia.org the URL never changes as one goes throughout the site. The only time I had an issue with this was when I wanted to copy a URL. Again, though, it's really not a big deal.
Jessica

Postby Panda_mist on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for doing such a great job, TreeSprite! We appreciate it.
Norn #1: *falls off elevator*
Norn #2: I warned you about lifts, bro!
Norn #1: IT KEEPS HAPPENING!
Norn #2: I told you dog!
Panda_mist

Postby September_Rain on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:45 am

I just noticed this, hiding in plain sight it were... ;)

Thanks for all your work Laura!
September_Rain

Postby TreeSprite on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:37 pm

(O.O) Laura?? :scratch:

Oh, were you thanking Laura for CChat? She might not see that here. Maybe thank her while you are visiting the CChat. :)
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby September_Rain on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:49 am

TreeSprite wrote:(O.O) Laura?? :scratch:

Oh, were you thanking Laura for CChat? She might not see that here. Maybe thank her while you are visiting the CChat. :)

Nope, just me being a dumbass. =) Thanks TREESPRITE, for all your work!

I'm gonna go hide in a corner now...
September_Rain

Postby Laura on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:16 am

lol, you're welcome, September_Rain - will we be seeing you in chat again soon? ;) And thank you TreeSprite for placing CC Chat here! :) I can't believe it's already had 208 redirects...
ImageLaura
Laura

Postby chellywelly97 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:32 pm

i need creatures on my docking station please be my friend
chellywelly97

Postby Ghosthande on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:47 am

We'd love to be friends with you chellywelly! If you post your DS ID here we can add you to our friends lists.
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Return to Announcements & Reports