Changes Coming Soon! :)

Forum rules, news and updates will all be posted in here. It's also the place for members to post feedback and bug reports.

Changes Coming Soon! :)

Postby TreeSprite on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 am

Very soon, on Feb 1st, Ctopia's domain registration will be running out. I have three kids to feed and keep warm, and I have no way of paying for the domain registration renewal. Very soon Creaturetopia will only be able to be reached via http://ctopia.treesprite.com. This does not mean that I don't care for the members of Creaturetopia, nor does it mean that you will ever have to worry about the forum not being hosted here on treesprite.com This is your forum, and your Creatures home away from Albia, and it will remain here for you to visit for as long as you have interest in visiting. It just means I don't have the funds to maintain the Creaturetopia.org address.

In other news, because of updates to php, and to the forum software, we need to create a new theme/banner/buttons/ and other graphics elements for the forum. A New Makeover! This is so exciting, that I'm dancing in my seat while I type! :lol: The moderators will be helping to create several theme options, and we'll then complete a new theme, and the forum will be upgraded to the newest way cool version! Now is the time to be spouting your thoughts and ideas on what sort of visual changes you would like to see here on Creaturetopia to your favorite Mods!! :D AND Because I value the input of all the users, as well as the moderators, there will be some interesting theme options for you users to vote on very soon! :D

I would also like to hear everyone's ideas and recommendations for the addition of two new moderators for the forum. We've lost a moderator, and have never replaced him. So we need to have another responsible person or two to help out with moderation, verifying new users aren't spammers, and adding new content to the forum.

Well, that's all for the news so far. If you have questions just post below. Oh, and don't forget to let us know your thoughts and suggestions for new theme and moderators for Creaturetopia!

Peace and carrots!
TreeSprite
Fae folk keep secrets too.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Re: Changes Coming Soon! :)

Postby ylukyun on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I like the old theme, but I guess it's time for a change. It would be nice if it remained the same subtle green color, it gives the forum a distinctive "look". Other than that, something simple, not too garish or busy.
ylukyun

Postby Grendel Man on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm

That first bit was a little worrying at first, but further reading proved it to be of no concern. In fact, I'd recommend letting Creaturetopia.org run out anyway, seeing as accessing the forums through that url buggered it up.

I'm with ylukyun in liking the old theme, although I'm all for a new one provided the change isn't extremely jarring (changing the color scheme to something completely different or radically changing the forum layout aren't exactly appealing to me, but changing the fonts on the buttons or making everything nice and shiny are).

Finally, if you're looking for a new moderator - I have some experience in that area, as I've been a vice administrator before. If you want to know what the full details where that was concerned, just ask.
ImageImage
Grendel Man

Postby Liam on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Please don't let it run out, because it's important for new users to find the site!

If you don't want to pay for it, how much is it? I could potentially do so.
- Liam

C2toDS | Creatures 2 to Docking Station
BD | Biodome
AC | Aquatilis Caverna | Aquatilis Pod
TP | Terra Pluvialis
Liam

Postby Merboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 am

Completely understandable! Thanks for hosting this awesome place!

I think word of mouth and appropriately updated links are more important than having a .org domain anyhow. If people have an interest in finding a forum they can google it or any other creatures site and look in link pages.
Merboy

Postby Liam on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:39 am

It's not so much about finding it (though that is of course very important), it's about what happens to the domain after it expires.

It can't be hideously expensive; I use namecheap.com and I can buy creaturetopia.net for about $10/year. If it's any more expensive than that, I suspect you're being ripped off by your registrar.
- Liam

BD | Biodome
TP | Terra Pluvialis
Liam

Postby Merboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 am

Ooo, that's a great deal Liam. Maybe TreeSprite can use namecheap.com?
Merboy

Postby Liam on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:37 am

Unfortunately many registrars charge a fee for moving to other registrars, and it would depend on how expensive that is. =/
- Liam

BD | Biodome
TP | Terra Pluvialis
Liam

Postby 3kul on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:31 am

Liam wrote:Please don't let it run out, because it's important for new users to find the site!

I think that Liam has a point. I, like everybody else here, really appreciates all that you do for the Ctopia website Treesprite, and I'm looking forward to many of the other changes that you've mentioned too, but I'm worried that new users might find it difficult to find the new address, or jump to the wrong conclusion when they see that the old address no longer leads here.

Like Liam I'd be quite happy to foot the bill, provided that you aren't being severely ripped off, so please feel free to send me a PM or e-mail to discuss this in private :)

As for new themes... Well, I am used to the current one, but I'm sure that we could do better! Are we going to do another banner contest for the new one? :mrgreen:

Grendel Man wrote:Finally, if you're looking for a new moderator - I have some experience in that area, as I've been a vice administrator before. If you want to know what the full details where that was concerned, just ask.

For what it's worth I'd be happy to second Grendel Man's nomination of himself. I feel that he's a fine, upstanding member of the Creatures Community and I am confident that he would be an asset to the Creaturetopia administrative team.

... Wow, sorry for being so formal, I've been applying for jobs a lot lately :p.
Kudos to Spykkie for finding my lost avatar :D
3kul

Postby silvak.lance on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 am

Going along with what Liam said, I would really like to make sure that we don't loose Creaturetopia.org it shows that the community is still here! You could think about making a paypal donation box. Especially if your switching registers and need the extra cash for the long term savings. I personally would be willing to contribute some to this worthy cause!
www.CrazyShee.com - (Updated: Daily!!)
Lost Content, help find it a home!
silvak.lance

Postby TreeSprite on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 am

Trying to get things straightened out with the domain name provider. Apparently billing has gone entirely wrong. While that's being worked out you'll have to use http://ctopia.treesprite.com but hopefully it will all be sorted soon! :)

TS

P.S. 3kul requested his job as moderator back, and I have granted his request. Welcome him back everyone!
Fae folk keep secrets too.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Liam on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:19 pm

That's great, let us know if there is anything we can do.
- Liam

BD | Biodome
TP | Terra Pluvialis
Liam

Postby Ghosthande on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Yay 3kul! Glad to have you back! :mrgreen:
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby Laura on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 am

Sorry, TreeSprite! Have just passed the message you sent me on at Creatures Caves. Been so busy this week.
ImageLaura
Laura

Postby silvak.lance on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 am

Good to hear things are working out! Not so good to hear billing isn't so much. I hate that when it happens!!
www.CrazyShee.com - (Updated: Daily!!)
Lost Content, help find it a home!
silvak.lance

Postby 3kul on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 am

TreeSprite wrote:P.S. 3kul requested his job as moderator back, and I have granted his request. Welcome him back everyone!

Ghosthande wrote:Yay 3kul! Glad to have you back! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, I'm just glad that I have more time nowadays to browse Ctopia :mrgreen:

Of course, I'm still happy to second Grendel Man's nomination for mod-hood, and if another mod is needed (as the first post suggested may be the case) I think that he'd be a great person for the job :)
Kudos to Spykkie for finding my lost avatar :D
3kul

Postby Officer 1BDI on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:58 pm

*stumbles back in after being gone for the week*

Woo! Welcome back to modhood, 3kul! =)
You have to be honest with yourself when you are writing. If that leads to somewhere unexpected then perhaps you really needed to go there.
-- Jim Adkins
Officer 1BDI

Postby SpaceShipRat on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Glad life's easing up on you, 3kul.

Looking at stuff, it's like me and Ghosthande have taken over the forum... now some people just don't have a life, see, or like to pretend they don't :mrgreen:
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby Ghosthande on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm

I don't know what you're talking about here. I have a life, see? You're reading it right now. :p
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Return to Announcements & Reports