Two bugs

Forum rules, news and updates will all be posted in here. It's also the place for members to post feedback and bug reports.

Two bugs

Postby Grendel Man on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm not normally one to post bugs, but I've two that I've found recently. Well, one actual bug and one oddity.

The actual bug occurs with the general forum. Sometimes, even after I've read all the topics in that forum, the icon for it is still lit up. Going into the forum and clicking "mark all topics read" fixes the issue. It's not serious, but it is rather annoying.

And for the oddity...this is ridiculous. I think someone needs to go through the members and delete all the unused accounts that were made with malicious intents.
ImageImage
Grendel Man

Re: Two bugs

Postby Jessica on Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:00 am

I also have the same problem with the lit up icon: It seems to only happen on Announcements & Reports and General, if that helps any. As you said, Grendel Man, it's more of an annoyance than anything... I always think there's some super exciting new post I missed! Ha ha!

I think there are around 10 pages of new members who just joined in the last week. My guess is that 99% of them are spammers. Most have obvious spam links in their profiles, too. I would gladly volunteer to at least weed out the obvious spam accounts, since I know it can take some time. But it's a job for the moderators, I suppose! It would be nice to have the members section cleaned up a bit, so that we can see the real birthdays and have a more manageable member list.
Jessica

Postby SpaceShipRat on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:30 am

AAK! It's ok, it's ok, i'm back. You can't survive a week's vacation, Creaturetopia? :mspurple:

The oddity: spambots register and set their birthdays as the day it is, so all those probably registered today - either that or they actually change the date every day, in any case they like pretending it's their birthday. Only Treesprite can permanently delete accounts AFAIK, so we'll wait for her on that. They'll be banned with extreme prejudice anyway.

The "bug": it's just another oddity, caused by the unapproved, thus unread, spam topics. I check this forum an absurd amount of times a day so I guess I usually catch them before it bothers people? Or maybe spambots breed in the summer, because i see from the mod logs that Ghosthande and Amaikokonut (<3 and <3) have bagged an inordinate amount of the buggers.

Now i'm back as well, i promise we'll have a bbq and grill the lot, there should be leftovers for everyone. As long as you bring drinks and evil cookies.

Edit: ah, right: top of the forum, under log out, under last visited, you'll see "mark forums read" click that to get rid of "ghostly" unread posts
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby SpaceShipRat on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 am

However - happy birthday, MetalGearFlaccid! :D
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby pirate-rob on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 am

I wondered why the general topic was highlighted the whole time...
when life hands you rocks, you throw them back
when life hands you tubas, you mistake them for rocks
http://www.petitiononline.com/gameware/petition.html (online petition to open gameware forums)
pirate-rob

Postby TreeSprite on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:15 pm

I normally ban and delete all spammers with extreme predjudice, as do the moderators. I can assure you that none of us like spammers. I've had a lot going on in my life in the last week or so, and I haven't had time to do my job as I normally do. FYI, I usually come at least once every week, :roll: (If I'm not here every day) to ban and delete the spammers. If you ever see that we need help, why not send a moderator or myself a message to let us know that you have time to lend a hand, and we'll be happy to let you be of service, Grendel Man. :mrgreen:
Fae folk keep secrets too.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Jessica on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks, TreeSprite! If you ever need any help, I usually have some time to pitch in. Anything to strike down those spammers that torment us all! Ha ha!
Jessica

Postby Tarlia on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 pm

So THAT'S why the 'unread' icon doesn't always disappear. Good to know. I thought it was just me. :p

Bloody spammers, eh.
Tarlia

Return to Announcements & Reports