Forum Rules

Forum rules, news and updates will all be posted in here. It's also the place for members to post feedback and bug reports.

Forum Rules

Postby Danikat on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:36 am

Number one, the golden rule: Respect each other.
Treat other people as you would like to be treated and we'll all get along.

2. Do Not Spam
Sometimes topics shift over time, one thing leads to another and a conversation can end up well away from its starting point. Which is fine, as long as it's a logical progression. If you jump into a topic and post something that has absolutely no relation to what was being discussed your post will be deleted. If you do it repeatedly you will be warned.

3. Do not post spam topics.
A topic is supposed to be a conversation between members on a particular subject. A spam topic is any topic that lacks a specific subject or encorages members to post at random regardless of what was last posted. For example the evil game, 'post whatever you copied last', 'gah! tumbleweeds' ect.

4. If a post or member has offended you in some way please use the report button in the top right hand corner of the post to let the forum staff know about it and the problem will be dealt with. (Which doesn't nessesarily mean the person you reported will automatically be punished, the staff will look at the problem and decide the best course of action at the time.)

5. Abuse of the report function - reporting members who have done nothing wrong, will earn you a warning.

Don't forget the Terms of Use also apply to all your activity on the forum and need to be followed in addition to these rules.

Notes:

* Please be aware that the admins and moderators cannot read your PM's or anyone elses. If someone is abusing the PM system (insulting you, otherwise breaking the rules or if a bot is sending out adverts) we will not know it's happening unless you forward the message to a member of staff, preferably along with a note explaining the problem.

* Please respect the admins and moderators. We do this job (for free in our free time) to try and make the forum a fun and friendly place for the whole Creatures Community. If a member of staff asks you to stop doing something it's not because they don't like you, they don't have a sense of humor or they're on a power trip. It's because whatever they asked you to stop doing is making the forum unplesant for other community members and might put them off comming here in the future.
All moderators and admins have the authority to issue official warnings - which is an action undertaken on behalf of the forum as a whole. If you recieve a warning please take it seriously, it's a way of letting you know you need to change your behaviour if you wish to remain a member of the forum.

* Having said all that feedback on the way the forum is run is always welcome. If you want to say something (positive or negative) about the staff or have a suggestion to improve the forum please either PM an admin or post a topic in this section. (Personal grievances against a particular staff member are best dealt with in private via PM to another staff member.)

* The forum opperates a 3 strike warning in most cases - recieve 3 warnings and you will be banned. However be aware that some offences (seriously threatening violence of any kind for example) will get you an instant ban.
Danikat
Site Admin

Re: Forum Rules

Postby the care train on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:46 pm

maybe this should be in the actual registrant agreement, i don't remember it being when i regged
the care train

Postby 3kul on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:26 pm

If you're that upset about it you can always request that the mods 'unregister' you :roll:
Kudos to Spykkie for finding my lost avatar :D
3kul

Postby EvilSpirit on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:26 am

rofl 3kul
EvilSpirit

Postby Danikat on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:07 am

The registration agreement is a legal document written by the company that provides the forum software and universal to all their forums. As far as I know there's no way to change it, even add to it.

It'd be pretty absurd if there was since as I said it was a legal document there to inform you of the laws that apply to your use of the forum. Our rules aren't laws and they're not legally enforced. I couldn't take you to court for spamming even if I wanted to - the worst I could do would be to ban your IP address to prevent you from comming here.

(And for the record I wouldn't take you to court if I could. I'd have to wear a suit and probably even high heels, which are evil.)
Danikat
Site Admin

Postby Pejyuu on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:11 am

Huh, in other forum software I've used, the registering message can be changed. And it has had more to do with the forumrules, not the forumsoftware legal things. So that was a bit odd.
|pez| @ CC Chat
Pejyuu

Postby the care train on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:15 am

3kul wrote:If you're that upset about it you can always request that the mods 'unregister' you :roll:

what the hell man
the care train

Postby Liam on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Can I suggest a rule against one or two word posts? They can be incredibly counter-productive and don't add to discussion at all. I would consider that sort of thing "spam," and I get the feeling several others here might as well.

That said, rules look good to me. :)
- Liam

C2toDS | Creatures 2 to Docking Station
BD | Biodome
AC | Aquatilis Caverna | Aquatilis Pod
TP | Terra Pluvialis
Liam

Postby Danikat on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:20 pm

I have mixed feelings on that idea - or any method of using a word limit to define spam.

For a start it's probably easier to exceed a word limit with a spam post than with a real one, since you're not really saying anything anyway theres no limit on how much of it you can say.

Plus occasionally one or two words is all you need to make a constructive post.

Still, we'll see how it goes. If it gets to be a problem then something like that can certinally be brought in later on.
Danikat
Site Admin

Postby the care train on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:04 pm

if you're so stingy to make a rule about an abstract number of words in a post, you're going to have people purposely trying to dodge that filter or rule

also, last I checked, you guys have a fetish for word association threads
the care train

Postby ElasticMuffin on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:54 pm

I'd really like it if this place could avoid that sort of nonsense. Word association threads and other silly little games accomplish little and keep bumping other interesting discussions down the page.
ImageImage Image
ElasticMuffin

Postby Liam on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:33 pm

the care train wrote:if you're so stingy to make a rule about an abstract number of words in a post, you're going to have people purposely trying to dodge that filter or rule

also, last I checked, you guys have a fetish for word association threads

Not necessarily, many forums have such a rule and it tends to work quite well to keep discussion intelligent and interesting. :)

Sounds like a plan, Danikat! :D

EM: Completely agreed, yeah. Intelligent discussion ftw!
- Liam

BD | Biodome
TP | Terra Pluvialis
Liam

Postby LordPsycho on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:48 pm

You know - I could be just crazy here, but I think having a human with some intellegence deciding whether a post is spam or not is better than depending on some arbitrary system to tell us such.

And who would these humans be? Well, that's a big duh, little britches. The Administrators and the moderators they appoint. Here's my logic. By founding the site (and putting our money where our mouths are), the admins have a right to determine how their site is run. Here that is Danikat and me, as it's running off of my server, and Danikat has donated quiet a bit to Blackstar's general fund to offset the cost of this site. We also have the right to appoint community members we deem to be in good judgement to help us out - if and when this forum gets bigger, it will be too big for two people to do all alone.

So - I say we set up a non-viewable board and if a moderator spots something they deem as spam, they move it there (still keeping the post in existance but out of the way) and then report it to me and Danikat. Once there, we make an appropriate decision on whether said post is spam or not, and take appropriate actions. Fluid, and able to adapt as our definitions and beliefs change, plus it doesn't rely on what could be a bad system.
LordPsycho
Site Admin

Postby Norn-mania on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Good plan DP, I'll stand by it.

Although I still think your crazy.
Norn-mania

Postby Liam on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Sounds good to me.
- Liam

BD | Biodome
TP | Terra Pluvialis
Liam

Postby Dreamnorn on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:04 pm

The rules seem just and fair, so I'll obey. :pray:

However, about the small word game threads, I happen to like them because they're fun. Keeping the amount of those games (such as Word Assoc. and Stupid Question, Stupid Answer) to a small number, however, sounds like an OK idea. :)
"No artist in his right mind would never be sane" ~Me
Dreamnorn

Postby KC11 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:16 pm

ElasticMuffin wrote:I'd really like it if this place could avoid that sort of nonsense. Word association threads and other silly little games accomplish little and keep bumping other interesting discussions down the page.

Well now, who needs to be a little "unscrooged"? j/k :lol:

Anyway, I think that those "other silly little games" are what keep people interested in forums. I personally love forum games. Games and intelligent conversation went hand and hand over at Creatures Caves, so it can work here. I mean, it won't bump your important intelligent conversation too far down on the page.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ImageImageImage
KC11

Postby Dreamnorn on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 pm

KC11 wrote:
ElasticMuffin wrote:I'd really like it if this place could avoid that sort of nonsense. Word association threads and other silly little games accomplish little and keep bumping other interesting discussions down the page.

Well now, who needs to be a little "unscrooged"? j/k :lol:

Anyway, I think that those "other silly little games" are what keep people interested in forums. I personally love forum games. Games and intelligent conversation went hand and hand over at Creatures Caves, so it can work here. I mean, it won't bump your important intelligent conversation too far down on the page.

I entirely agree. :) It did keep me interested in the forums. When some of the games died here, I sort of "moved towards" something else (not mentioning anything specific) for such a long while that I was literally beside myself... it took me a while to recall that I had a place online too. o_o

It's like this: if something is interesting, people do something in relation to it. If I wasn't interested in Creatures (what a terrible thought!), I wouldn't be here, now would I? And some intellegent conversation did go on in Strangeo on CC... it does help keep our activity at a reasonable (or even greater) level, and our interest in the forums.

...Anyway, that's my opinion. I talk quite winded when I'm on a roll. XP I'll be quiet now.
"No artist in his right mind would never be sane" ~Me
Dreamnorn

Postby Danikat on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:48 am

Really minor change: Having come to the conclusion that 6. and 7. weren't really rules I've changed the second half of the first post into a 'notes on the rules' section.

Nothing's really changed, it just makes more sense this way.....I think.
Danikat
Site Admin

Postby 3kul on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:35 am

In light of some recent events I feel that I should remind you all that, as registered members of Creaturetopia, you have already agreed to the following Terms of Service:

By accessing “Creaturetopia.org” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Creaturetopia.org”, “http://creaturetopia.org”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Creaturetopia.org”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Creaturetopia.org” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Creaturetopia.org” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Creaturetopia.org” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Creaturetopia.org” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

Please make a note of this, as it's quite important - unlike the rules stated earlier in this thread, the ToS are a binding legal contract, and as such we are much less lenient when they're broken.

If you feel that this is a problem, well... Unfortunately, if you're a registered member you've already agreed to them, so there's not an awful lot that you can do about it I suppose :? Feel free to discuss it here all the same.
Kudos to Spykkie for finding my lost avatar :D
3kul

Return to Announcements & Reports