A little Announcement

Forum rules, news and updates will all be posted in here. It's also the place for members to post feedback and bug reports.

A little Announcement

Postby LordPsycho on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:34 am

I'm surprised the word never made it over here - but I also think few people realize Creaturetopia is a Blackstar hosted site, too.

You all should know that as of March 5, 2009, I was notified my job was eliminated as to attempt to save my company money and return it to profitability. Yep, like millions of others, I find myself a victim of this recession, thrust into the Job market unexpectedly.

So what does this mean for Creaturetopoia. Well, as I've already told Blackstar's general populace, I do have a need to cut down on my expenditures - and when donations are slow I normally pick up the slack from my own money. But with my need to cut money, and if it came between hosting and gas to my next interview, I would have no choice but to shut down the Blackstar System - if only temporarily.

The People from Blackstar responded wonderfully, and through some generous Donations, I will be able to keep Blackstar up through the end of September. As I said there, if I haven't found another job by then, I have bigger problems than my hosting bill.

All said, Treesprite has agreed that if push does come to shove, I can move several of the more important boards, Creaturetopia and Blackstar main being top of the list, to her server to be hosted. I wouldn't want to see that personally, but it will keep this forum up, which is my main concern.

All that said, I feel you guys should also be aware of the situation. If you do wish to help out further, there is a donation button on the front page of Blackstar. The need isn't absolutely urgent, but anything people can spare to keep the entire system up and running would be greatly appreciated by all.

Thanks,
DP...um....LP

This new name is going to take some getting used to...
LordPsycho
Site Admin

Re: A little Announcement

Postby TreeSprite on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:35 am

I hope you all donate to such a worthy cause as keeping Creaturetopia on the net and live while DP is looking for a job in the mundane world. I think it's wonderful that he's so dedicated to keeping his netizens happy by maintaining Blackstar, Creaturetopia, and others. If you think he's a great guy, or even if you just like Blackstar or Creaturetopia you BETTER donate! :)

I did offer to take over the hosting of BlackStar, and Creaturetopia. I did so because I feel that they are wonderful sites with great merit for the communities that visit. I also feel that the friendship between Danikat, LordPsycho, and myself is worthy of me doing so.

That said I want all of you to know that should both, or either forum become hosted by myself, that does not in any way mean changes for either, or that any of my rules or opinions will be held in any higher place than they already are. The forums are strictly the property of the owners and I won't be interfering at all other than to offer the server space.

In closing, I'll repeat my earlier command, "you BETTER donate!" :)
In Love & Light,
TreeSprite
Fae folk keep secrets too.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby punchcar5 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm

I'll take the job of being the president of creaturetopia.
punchcar5

Postby LordPsycho on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Creaturetopia doesn't have a presidency, it has and administrative team. And Danikat makes those decisions, and she only makes admin/mods of people she trust. Sorry
LordPsycho
Site Admin

Postby Zequr on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 am

I know nothing about blackstar, and I would like to know what other things my donation would support and how to find the blackstar site If i decide to lend a hand.
Zequr

Postby SpaceShipRat on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 am

*pokes Zequr* See that link on his siggy?
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby punchcar5 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Barnicles! :grumble:
punchcar5

Postby LordPsycho on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 am

Zequr wrote:I know nothing about blackstar, and I would like to know what other things my donation would support and how to find the blackstar site If i decide to lend a hand.

Wow - I though almost everyone had at least heard of Blackstar. It started as a group of true RP'ers I lead away from Gameware (as to escape the spam), but to call it part of the CC wouldn't be accurate. A significant part of that community didn't come from the CC, so yeah.

http://www.blackstardojo.org

Other sites that are on the Blackstar System:
The EC's private forums (I have been getting somewhat steady donations from EC members)
The Guardian's forum (a group that formed in opposition to the EC, and has been mostly inactive since 2007...mostly)
Blackstar's wiki and map sites ( http://www.blackstardojo.org/wiki/ and http://maps.blackstardojo.org )
Embri's Arboria page http://arboria.blackstardojo.org

There is also a CCSF.creaturetopia.org set up, though it was not used for the last CCSF. If anyone would like to use it for next years, it's there...
LordPsycho
Site Admin

Postby punchcar5 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:18 pm

what's black dojo?
punchcar5

Postby LordPsycho on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:33 pm

punchcar5 wrote:what's black dojo?

LordPsycho wrote:Wow - I though almost everyone had at least heard of Blackstar. It started as a group of true RP'ers I lead away from Gameware (as to escape the spam), but to call it part of the CC wouldn't be accurate. A significant part of that community didn't come from the CC, so yeah.

http://www.blackstardojo.org
Blackstar's wiki and map sites ( http://www.blackstardojo.org/wiki/ and http://maps.blackstardojo.org )
LordPsycho
Site Admin

Postby punchcar5 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:50 pm

i would have never guessed [*]that[*] was for gameware. I though it was this wold of war craft thing.
punchcar5

Postby SpaceShipRat on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:05 pm

It's a roleplay board, made by people that met in the creatures community, so it's a "Creatures Community" thing rather than a "Creatures" thing.
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby LordPsycho on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 pm

SpaceShipRat wrote:... so it's a "Creatures Community" thing rather than a "Creatures" thing.

I believe that now even calling it a "Creatures Community" thing is a bit of a stretch - the majority of active users were never a part of the CC...
LordPsycho
Site Admin

Postby punchcar5 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:26 pm

:| ....
punchcar5

Postby sam999 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Not yet anoughter site going off the net! :scared: Starts arciveing stories and agents form this site.
sam999

Postby Ghosthande on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:52 pm

All said, Treesprite has agreed that if push does come to shove, I can move several of the more important boards, Creaturetopia and Blackstar main being top of the list, to her server to be hosted.

I don't believe Ctopia is that seriously threatened, Sam. It would be nice to have an update, though, seeing as we're getting into November now. Is there any word on how the situation is going?
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby sam999 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Ghosthande wrote:I don't believe Ctopia is that seriously threatened, Sam. It would be nice to have an update, though, seeing as we're getting into November now. Is there any word on how the situation is going?

Better safe then sorry. I never backeked up the high-tech hand after all.
sam999

Postby 3kul on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:03 pm

(sam999, you don't need to quote the entire post to respond if it's the post immediately above yours ;))

Ghosthande wrote:Is there any word on how the situation is going?

LordPsycho is a fairly scarce presence on any of his forums nowadays. He was on Blackstar recently to discuss launching a new Blackstar (as the old one is buggy as hell) but he disappeared shortly after, claiming that he'd need to delay his plans due to some of us not liking one minor detail (I can explain this if you'd like, but it's not really necessary or relevant). On Blackstar he said that he'd be back in 'a few days', but it's obviously been much longer than that at this point.

He didn't mention donations at all though, so I suspect that Creaturetopia is fine for now, and if it ever does fall into trouble again I'm sure he'll be back to let us know about it.
Kudos to Spykkie for finding my lost avatar :D
3kul

Postby sam999 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:16 am

Runs off and starts backing up blackstar as well.
sam999

Postby TreeSprite on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:55 pm

sam, I'm fairly certain that blackstar isn't going anywhere.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby sam999 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Must. Make. Backups.
sam999

Postby TreeSprite on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Whatever
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby sam999 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Can I back up your webpage TreeSprite?
sam999

Postby Borg12345 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Hang on I would have thought backing up all these sites must take up a lot of space. Granted, huge HDDs aren't hard to get hold of and aren't that expensive (It got a good 1TB one for £50) but still, you have have a lot of space on your PC... unless it's not being stored on your PC mind. Just out of curiosity, how are you doing it?
Borg12345, here to assimilate you. Or eat your brains.
depends if I'm lonely or hungry o.O

And a proud one at that :D
Borg12345

Postby sam999 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:19 pm

Borg12345 wrote:Hang on I would have thought backing up all these sites must take up a lot of space. Granted, huge HDDs aren't hard to get hold of and aren't that expensive (It got a good 1TB one for £50) but still, you have have a lot of space on your PC... unless it's not being stored on your PC mind. Just out of curiosity, how are you doing it?

C.D. ROMs and lots of them.
sam999

Next

Return to Announcements & Reports