Forum Makeover Time!!! :D

Forum rules, news and updates will all be posted in here. It's also the place for members to post feedback and bug reports.

Forum Makeover Time!!! :D

Postby TreeSprite on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:54 pm

As has been mentioned previously, because of updates to php, and to the forum software, the forum needs to be updated to bring it up to full usage and security to prevent spam users and annoyances. This means that Creaturetopia's much loved theme is going to be retired, and a new theme will replace it. This theme is going to be chosen by you, the moderators and community members here at Creaturetopia.

We need to create a new banner, and buttons, and we'll need to see all of your ideas about overall theme, and color too! A New Makeover! This is so exciting! :mspurple: This week I would like to see what the members have in mind. Please post submissions of your ideas in this thread. Feel free to upload graphic images of your ideas too! All of your submissions are valuable and important, and will bring us closer to an idea of what we may soon see as a brand new theme here on Creaturetopia!

At the end of the week, on Feb 19, I will look at all of the submissions and ideas, and the Mods and I will then begin work on translating your thoughts and ideas into a few different choices of theme. Then, on Feb 27th, there will be several choices presented for you to vote upon! :D The voting will be in place for a week, and at the end the forum will be upgraded, and the winning theme will be used as the newest way cool theme on Creaturetopia! So there you have it, now is the time to be spouting your thoughts and ideas on what sort of visual changes you would like to see here on Creaturetopia!

P.S. If you have any graphics talent whatsoever, and your submission ideas are chosen to become part of the theme, you might be asked to help create the theme. As well, if you would like to volunteer to lend a hand with the creation of theme elements be sure to let us know! ;)
Fae folk keep secrets too.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Re: Forum Makeover Time!!! :D

Postby TreeSprite on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Does no one have any ideas or preferences on how the forum should look? 8(
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby SpaceShipRat on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:16 am

Is there some problem in adapting the old theme?
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby Tarlia on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 am

I'm not really very creative about these things, beyond offering feedback and input. And I really like the earthy/nature colours of the current theme...

My only request would be, if possible, to make the message board fit the screen, rather than being a fixed size. It irritates me that I sometimes can't see whole pictures, or have to scroll a lot, when there is all that unused space on both sides of the window on my widescreen monitor.
Tarlia

Postby Ghosthande on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:47 am

Sorry TreeSprite, I meant to send something in but I've kind of drawn a blank design-wise. Do you have an example of what the basic layout would be like? That might help.

I agree with Tarlia that it would be nice to have more space as far as width is concerned--although I do enjoy having some open space on either side, it feels less crowded that way. I'd also like to keep the user info on the right of each post, like it is now, if that can be done.
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby TreeSprite on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:00 am

SpaceShipRat wrote:Is there some problem in adapting the old theme?

Yes, It can't be done.
1.) The author of the theme doesn't want it used anymore.
2.) There are theme elements that don't lend themselves to being used any longer because of the errors it will cause in the php.
3.) Change is fun!
4.) I'm bored with it... aren't you? We need to show people that the Creatures Community is alive and kicking! We need to be vibrant and ever changing to keep others aware that this is fun! :D

Tarlia wrote:... I really like the earthy/nature colours of the current theme... My only request would be, if possible, to make the message board fit the screen...

I like the earthy colors too. Wider can be done. :)

Ghosthande wrote:Do you have an example of what the basic layout would be like? That might help.
I'd also like to keep the user info on the right of each post, like it is now, if that can be done.

Design example... um... seen TheGrove? It's theme is updated. User info on the right... yeah that's possible.

Any other ideas? I was hoping for something more Creatures specific. Like, Creatures in the banner doing... Creature-y things, or Ettin Email box images, maybe a Docking Station or Creatures Background image? Something? Come on.... help me out here... please? I want to know what everyone would like to see. You're going to be looking at it for a while to come. What do you want?
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Tarlia on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 am

Personally I was never too fond of the machine/space ship look of C3/DS (although it is pretty, in its own way), and much prefer the lovely and living worlds of C1 and C2. Also, there are way too many message boards with dark/blue/grey colours. Green and brown and beige are soothing colours and don't hurt my eyes. :)

But yes, change IS good. If the whole message board is made wider (I'd still prefer it to be adjustable to window size, but I wouldn't mind some moderately thick borders, if Ghosthande and others would prefer that), maybe there'd also be room for a wider banner? I like the idea of a seamless image where the world of C1 morphs into the world of C2 which morphs into the world of C3 (norn terrarium or the Capillata meso?), with one or two norns from each game interacting across the world "borders", maybe bouncing a ball to each other or something. And 'Creaturetopia' written across the middle above them. I don't have the graphical skills or time to do anything like that, though... >_> So I feel a bit useless, since I can only offer ideas.
Tarlia

Postby silvak.lance on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 am

A rusty orange would be good. As was mentioned before, alot are green and blue and orange is kind of the opposite. I could try to do something for an example......if I'm not crazy busy.
www.CrazyShee.com - (Updated: Daily!!)
Lost Content, help find it a home!
silvak.lance

Postby TreeSprite on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Tarlia wrote: So I feel a bit useless, since I can only offer ideas.

Ideas are NOT useless. It's nice to see there ARE some opinions on what everyone would like the forum to look. :)
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Telinome on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Though I haven't been here very long, I throw in my support for a natural-looking, soft green/brown, C1/C2 theme. I'm actually quite fond of the background in the current banner because of this.
Perhaps the ending has not yet been written.
Telinome

Postby Ghosthande on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 am

Okay, here's my first attempt:

(Ack, there's that cutoff problem right there... click here to see the whole thing.)

I tried to go for something a bit softer, brighter, and more colorful. I get the feeling there could be something (object, critter, norn?) in the open space on the right, but don't really have any ideas--suggestions are welcome.

Also. If anyone else wants to use the title text, it IS a pain to try to cut out of the background and keep it looking nice*, so I recreated it complete with outline and shadow effects here. It's a PNG with transparency, so it should import well for most graphics programs.
*I don't know about you, but I can't figure out what font that is.
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby ylukyun on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:24 pm

If we're going to keep these icons:
Then the big empty space on the right could have a similar looking norn in it, maybe in a different pose though.
ylukyun

Postby silvak.lance on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanx Ghosthande!!! I was trying to figure out the text for a while. This will make it so much easier off to try my first attempt!
www.CrazyShee.com - (Updated: Daily!!)
Lost Content, help find it a home!
silvak.lance

Postby ElasticMuffin on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Ghosthande wrote:Also. If anyone else wants to use the title text, it IS a pain to try to cut out of the background and keep it looking nice*, so I recreated it complete with outline and shadow effects here. It's a PNG with transparency, so it should import well for most graphics programs.
*I don't know about you, but I can't figure out what font that is.

I made the original banner. It's World of Water, the same font used in some Creatures promotional materials. Here it is :)

Unfortunately, I suspect I've long since lost the originals. And the many other versions of this I made appear to have been eaten by the forum monster :( However, with that font and photoshop you should be able to make something similar without having to resort to horrible things.

EDIT: For example, you can dash off some crap like this in a matter of minutes (not serious here, just an example):
ImageImage Image
ElasticMuffin

Postby Ghosthande on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks EM! Been wondering about that for a while. Certainly opens up more possibilities for text styling.
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby TreeSprite on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:02 am

I've had world of water for quite some time now, I should have thought to upload it...

Incidentally, been sick for a while now. Sorry I've not been here to keep an eye on things. :(
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby Veolfa on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 pm

I absolutely love the graphics from Creatures Labs. Like the Fallow and Siamese graphics. I have no idea if those could be used but they are very cool.
I'm lost and have gone looking for myself, if I should return before I get back could you please have me wait?
Veolfa

Postby mea on Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 am

Could someone post some guidelines or a template for this? I think that might be why there hasn't been many ideas posted. It would suck to make a really cool looking design & then be told it can't be used because it wouldn't work with the new forum software.
mea

Postby Ghosthande on Fri May 27, 2011 8:45 am

A template really isn't necessary, all that is really needed is a title image and some colors for a color scheme.

Title images are simple enough--all that means is an image, preferably a JPG or PNG, with the site name (Creaturetopia) at a size that could work as a forum title. For example, the dimensions of the image I submitted are 940 by 140 pixels, ElasticMuffin's image is 915 by 157 pixels, and the current title image for this design is 800 by 175 pixels.

Color schemes can be taken directly from the title image you make, or you can try to mix and match color combinations you make up or take from a resource such as a random color generator. You can save your palette as an image to post here, although I would also recommend listing the hexadecimal code for the colors you choose (eg. #000000) if you know how.
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby sander on Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Put this together just now.
Looks best against a dark background (it hides the Photoshop fuzziness). (example)
If the statue is too obnoxious, I could remove it or swap it out for something else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sander

Postby Ghosthande on Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Really cute, sander!
Resistance is boop

Ghosthande

Postby TreeSprite on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:27 am

I like it Sander, but could you use a different statue, maybe one that is in C2? I don't remember the monkey... Or perhaps a Nornish balancing up there.
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Postby SpaceShipRat on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:59 pm

The monkey is from c1 :) maybe the chameleon instead? everyone remembers the chameleon, right?
"Dress classy, dance cheesy!" -Psy
SpaceShipRat

Postby ylukyun on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:58 am

A few quick logo mockups, just to give people ideas.

ylukyun

Postby TreeSprite on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:22 am

I like the first, and love the second. :D
TreeSprite
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements & Reports